I’m Getting Old is what a lot of people say when they continue to get injuries but is that true?
We know you’re not healing as quickly as you once did but that is not the real reason you get injured more often as you age. The truth is that you do have control of MOST of it.
Here are some of the reasons you keep getting injured:
- Your body is compensating for the primary injury – not only does that change how your body works, but one injury often leads to other injuries due to inflammation, and poor movements. You need to break the cycle and tackle the MAJOR injury first!
- You try to be active but all day you are stagnant at work – In order to do athletic or physical activities, you need to be prepared. Having poor posture or lack of movement for 8 hrs a day at work, then going to the gym for 1 hr a day can hurt you. You need to be more aware of your movement, and posture throughout the day.
- Prep yourself before – A proper warm-up is key! Use a dynamic warm-up and do mild to moderate muscle activation BEFORE exercise. People who stay healthier longer, get primed for their activity before an activity.
- Your movements are wrong/imbalanced – You can do all the right stuff I mentioned before but if you have poor technique, are imbalanced, or not doing the right stuff, it will eventually lead to injury. As we age, we continue our good & bad habits. Make sure you are doing it right the first time.
- Tissue adaptation – This is a big one I see most people fail at! Understand that your body needs to adapt/change to your environment & training. Your muscles, ligaments, and tendons need time to change as well as the PROPER recovery break. Too much too soon or not enough exercise, can all lead to a breakdown.
- Stretching vs. Strengthening – Both are important but most people ONLY stretch. After 40 yrs old, you can lose 1% of muscle mass per year! As a result, you lose strength, coordination, and balance. Strength training is a way to keep it all together. You should shoot for 2-3x per week for this to maintain and if you are injured, 3-4x per week.
PS If you need help NOW, then schedule a FREE Discovery Visit. We’ll tell you if we can help & get you on your treatment plan right away.
PPS Want some help virtually? Sign up for our low back pain course waitlist. These are some of the EXACT exercises we use in our clinic that get people back on the right path!